Friday, August 5, 2011

Kusudama Flower Ball

Every since I stumbled across an instructional to make these flowers, I have been finding little pockets of time to make them.  There are tons of online tutorials for this one, probably because its the easiest kusudama flower to make- and with such great results!  My 7yo made some of the petals.  He even volunteered to help me make more, until he realized he could figure out how to make something less...flowery...from our origami books.  (Learn how to make one here)

Does it look complicated? 

Trust me, its not. Just do a search and try it. I would take the time to post the instructions (I actually did-click link above) if there weren't already SO many people who have already done it.  But, I would be happy to teach anyone if you want.  I think I'm done with these for a while, but I am in the process of making a star kusudama, and another kind of flower who's petals take much more effort to fold.  I do realize that folding paper does not have MUCH value in the grand scheme of things (other than the cups my son could make if we were stranded with only a piece a paper and a body of water fit to drink...and we didn't want to drink from our hands) but it is fun and livens things up a bit around here. And, hey, the Wright brothers had to start somewhere with their models, right?  Maybe it can cheer up a friend when given as a gift?  Or decorate a special occassion.  Well, I'm off to do more responsible things for a while!

1 comment:

  1. They are gorgeous! Thank you for sharing these. What lovely handmade gifts/ornaments they would be!

    ReplyDelete