Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Honey Harvest

My father-in-law let me tag along to extract some of the honey from his hives again this year.  The whole process is pretty neat.  He did the hard part before I ever got there- getting the boxes without getting attacked by bees!  He built a screened in "honey room" for convenience, and I'd say it worked out very well. 
He used his heated knife to cut off the caps.

Put the frames into the electric extractor (it takes a special touch to get that machine balanced.)



The honey that was spun off the frames poured out of the spout below.


The cappings had plenty of honey in them, too.  We squeezed is out, mmmmmmmmm yummy job. 


It wasn't one of his biggest harvests, but very good, none-the-less.  We didn't get to all of it that day. I'm not sure I'd ever be up for handling those bees, I know they're protective of their honey.  I did enjoy helping out with this part of it though- not to mention the honey they shared with us!

2 comments:

  1. WOW, that is wonderful, the honey looks like liquid gold. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Hugs

    ReplyDelete