Thursday, January 5, 2012

Easy Sewing Projects

If I'm going to do a sewing project, it better be pretty simple.  For Christmas presents, I took the opportunity to learn to sew a few new things.  If you need any gift ideas, I have some.  I learned most of them by doing quick internet searches.



Fleece scarves.  There are many variations- including "no sew" fringe scarves I was planning on making.  I decided to do something different, though, because I could only get plain, single color fleece.  I got some applique pattern ideas and learned about reverse applique (where you sew a shape in two layers of fabric, then cut the top layer away just inside the seem.)

I also learned about the fringe "boa" scarves that only involve one seem- they are the pink, white and gray scarves in the picture.



These baby aprons/bibs were really fun to make.  And very easy.  I learned how at this link. I never knew bias tape was so neat.


I also used bias tape making this apron.  I searched a bunch of apron tutorials 'til I finally just combined a few ideas and winged it.  I like the wide ribbon for ties.


I also stumbled upon the idea of decorating a Sonic drink holder as a gift box.  I don't eat there much, but the children and I happend to have lunch there one day- and I remembered this idea, so I ordered 4 waters in a drink carrier!  It also made me wonder what other kinds of boxes would look neat covered with pretty paper. 


I needed some good ideas for the unfilled slots in the "gift" carrier, so I found a Cowboy Cookies in a Jar recipe as well as a Cranberry Hootycreeks Cookies in a Jar recipe.  I don't know if people really like cookies in a jar recipes, or if it is still just as much work to make the cookies.  What do you think?  Anyway, they look pretty.


The pillow didn't turn out exactly as I had planned (I think I was crossing that line between easy and slighty difficult with this project.)  Maybe it was because I wasn't following any pattern or tutorial- but it ended up alright.  I got to use my kanzashi flowers.  My mom liked it, I made it to match her living room- thanks for the vote of confidence Mom.


Finally, this bag (A-line purse) took a surprisingly short amount of time to make considering I've never made a bag before AND I didn't quite understand the instructions at first.  I learned how to make it here. If you're like me, you may have to triple review the tutorial for some details, but if you know anything about sewing, you'll probably get it right away. 

Who knows if I'll be doing any new crafts until Christmas!  It sure was a good excuse to do some! I would do any of these projects again (except, for the pillow, I would start with a better plan, first.) I hope you get some good ideas for special occasions- or next Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I just got a sewing machine and have been wanting some ideas of what to make. I haven't practiced for several years and finding out that I've forgotten most of what I know.

    ReplyDelete