Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Homemade Lotion- Really More of a Cream

I have tried it all when it comes to store bought facial lotions and creams. I guess my skin is just a bit too sensitive for them. Some natural oils I have used that worked well are jojoba oil, extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), and coconut oil. Since they're oils, they are oily, but it will eventually soak into your skin. Jojoba tends to be the least oily. It is said to be the most like our natural oils. It's also more expensive, but a little goes a long way. My mom once bought me a small jar of (EVOO) sold just for that purpose from a company in Japan. That is how I was introduced to using natural oils as moisturizers. I don't suppose it has to be an expensive EVOO to be effective.

More than I like using those oils for my skin, I like using homemade lotion. It is all natural, keeping it in the fridge will help it last longer. I keep a small container of it in the bathroom and it lasts just fine for me. The very best time to apply it is after a shower when your skin is extra thirsty and it soaks right in.

I wouldn't say it is difficult, but it is the most finicky of the homemade products I make. It also makes a mess in the blender. I am in need of more, so here we go:

You need-  1 Cup of oil(infuse it, if you like)
                   1 oz beeswax
                   6 T water (sterilized. You can also infuse the water with skin nourishing herbs.  Add the herbs and water in a pot.  Heat on low until you smell and herby smell and the water looks like a light tea:)

This time I chose to use these ingredients.
Almond oil, grapeseed oil, jojoba oil, and beeswax (water, too).

1. Melt the beeswax in a double broiler.  As I've mentioned before, keep it off the burner and don't splash it around.  It's flammable and it sticks like glue until the oils are mixed in.

2.  Add 1 Cup of the oils of your choosing.  I chose oils that tend to be less greasy.  Mine were also infused with calendula petals and lavender flowers- both of which are good for the skin and for healing.  Chickweed would also be a good herbs  for that.  Anyway, the beeswax will harden back up a little, but it won't take long to remelt.

3. Next, your going to pour the melted oil/beeswax into the blender.  You may want to let it cool a little first, if you think it will crack the blender.

4. While the blender is blending on low, slowly, SLOWLY, very slowly add 6T of sterilized water.  Why slowly and while the blender is on?  You are trying to emulsify the water and oils with out having to buy an emulsifying agent, which would make your natural cream- unnatural.  Since water and oils don't mix, you have to trick them into doing it anyway...slowly.  This may wreak havoc on your blender.  They say you should use a REALLY good blender for this.  My old one seems to do the trick, and if it breaks down, I won't be sad while buying another Bosch blender attachment.


5. After you blend past the point you think you need to, pour the cream (it should still be a little liquidy) into your containers or a jar.  Scrape out all the extra, it is good stuff!

The tins are 1 oz size to give you an idea of how much I ended up with.

Cleanup is no fun, but at least there are not very many dishes.

Cons to making homemade cream:
Since there are no preservatives, mold can grow.  I've not had it happen, but I gave some to my sister that did grow mold. 
It can be greasy if you're used to commercial lotions.
Tins can rust since there is water in the lotion. (just at the rim where the lid and bottom join)
It can melt in high heat.
It does not  always consistantly turn out the same.

Having stated the disclaimers, I do not ever plan on going back.  I love it.  It is better for sensitive skin than anything I have tried (Not just for the face, but hands and everything.)

Alternatives:
I've made lotion/cream with aloe vera gel, vit. E oil, and vit.A, as well as other fancy things.  The simple as always resulted in the best lotion for me, FYI.


Don't forget the lables.


p.s. Hopefully, I will soon post about lotion bars, which are the best thing to use for feet, elbows, and other extra dry parts AND super easy to make.


2 comments:

  1. Would putting Vitamin E in it help it not mold?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noel,
    It could, since it is kind of a preservative. But I have used it in the past-as well as vit A, that was the time my sister said she found mold on her's. 'Course, there are a lot of variables, like storage temperature and air moisture.

    ReplyDelete