Friday, July 23, 2010




Last weekend I got to go to a two day curriculum seminar for Spell to Write and Read. It is my favorite find for homeschooling so far. I have found many neat curriculum and fun ideas, but this is one that I'm sure I will hold on to through all our homeschooling years. It is a teacher friendly version of Writing Road to Reading. It can be used for homeschooling or in a classroom. I like that the author (Wanda Sanseri) is a Christian and she incorporates the Bible and literature with value if you choose to use it.


This review explains the program much better than I could:



And here is the Spell to Write and Read website:



Because it is very thorough, I've had to read through the book 3 times over the past year and a half to feel confident teaching it. I also attended the seminar which helped me. Now, there is a new DVD I'm guessing is a big help ( HIDDEN SECRETS TO LANGUAGE SUCCESS: VOLUMES 1 & 2). Its not a program that students can do independently and it does take an investment of time, but I like it a great deal. It seemed overwhelming to me at first, but I just jumped in and started teaching it. My son has not been confused one time (so far). The curriculum makes sense of our crazy written language! Him and I both enjoy having a better understanding.



I used this program with my 6yo for a few months so far with great results. This coming school year, we'll hit it full force and also begin at a preschool level with my 4yo who is looking forward to it. He's now able to sound out some basic words for fun and feels good about that. Its really nice that I don't have to buy new books for every student, or even every grade level. The basic kit is all I need (except a new Learning Log each year which is cheap) for K-12. Extras are optional, but it will be important to either invest in or find some good reading books at the library. She gives suggestions about reading materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment