Friday, June 4, 2010

Time to Bake Bread

We were almost out of bread so it was time to make more.

Here is our grain mill. In goes the wheat kernels. My father in law is big on ear protection, so he got me those ear cover things. I may lose a few points in coolness when I wear them, but maybe I'll still be able to hear when I'm older. Its really not TOO loud, but I do keep it in our pantry rather than in the kitchen to keep the noise down throughout the house.

The result of a little noise and a minute or two is soft, fresh whole wheat flour.
If there is any left over after making the bread, I put it in the freezer so it won't go to waist. I put in about 10 1/2 C wheat kernels, which grinds into about 17 C flour.

From one kitchen gadget to the next- they do all the work for me! In go the ingredients. Stand back and watch the mixer knead a pile of dough. (Update: Of all the whole wheat bread recipes I've tasted or made, I now have a favorite.  I don't think I can post it for copyright reasons.  It is from the Bread Beckers cookbook- the 5 loaf recipe.  This recipe had never failed me.  I always end up putting a little more flour in than the recipe calls for- just until the dough starts to pull itself from the sides.  I've also never used the optional lecithin in the recipe. If you are needing a good recipe- its worth it!) For today this is the recipe I used:
6 C hot water
1/3 C oil
1/4 c sugar
1/3 C vital wheat gluten
2T salt
4T yeast
about 16C flour

Voila- here is the final product. Today, it is 3 loaves of bread, one loaf of cheesy onion bread, and a pizza crust to freeze. Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment