Saturday, June 19, 2010

Sewing from a Pattern

I have it in my mind to learn the foreign language of sewing patterns. It really may as well be written in Chinese (which, coincidentally, I cannot read either). My hope is that, if i can learn to follow a pattern, I will have more success with my sewing endeavors. Sometimes, I try to slap skirts together without a pattern. Sometimes they come out decent, sometimes, they go in the trash. I'm starting with some boys' pajamas.

A friend offered to have me and the boys over for an afternoon so we could both sew. It was so nice and relaxing- maybe not as relaxing for the hostess since she made lunch. But I enjoyed the time, hearing the children laughing (and screaming) while they played. I got to stop her every few minutes and ask what a sentence in my pattern was trying to tell me and she very patiently explained. I think its hard! But that may change with practice...can anyone attest to that? It made so much sense when my friend would explain it in English. Anyway, we could only get so much done, being mom's and wives with things to do.

I'm hoping to recruit my mom as translator when I go to visit her. Then, maybe I can finish the pattern. I tried to sit down tonight and go to the next step...huh? I am a visual learner, youtube has taught me many "how-to" things (but be careful on there!) Maybe I will have them done for Christmas (at least one pair for each of the two older boys.)

No comments:

Post a Comment